Gungans no likin' the Naboo.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Conscripted into Life

     I listen to a lot of what some people call 'depressing music' (and a lot of people I know do say this). And sure I know that a fair bit of it probably is, especially to those people who label it that. But as in all art (and in life) things that attract you are things that you can connect with. It's the reason behind different musical tastes and why some people may love a piece of art or a specific poem and others may loathe it.

      People ask me why I want to listen to songs like Duality by Slipknot  or Far From Home by Five Finger Death Punch. Sometimes they say it in simple ad homonym attacks on the singers vocals, or in actual intellectual discussion about the meaning behind said lyrics and why they are sung how they are.

     For me, personally, angry/depressing music helps me release some of said pent up emotion inside myself, and so is a wonderful form of therapy. Also through the flavour of lyrics in Melodic metal (for example) you can get across emotions that you just can't in Pop or Rap or any other genre of music. Yes they may not be things that some people want to listen to (or the majority for that matter) but that's pretty easily solved by simply not listening to it.

     Now don't get me wrong, I do listen to other music, in fact I listen to almost every type of music there is (not necessarily every artist from said category as that would be nigh impossible). But, sometimes, I just find 'happy' music hard to listen to. Occasionally I just find it more depressing. I just think to myself "These people are TOO happy how can this be fair when so much suffering exists".

     Anyways that's my take on that. in the words of the infamous Jack Sparrow "Take what you want, give nothing back!"


I've gotta say what I've gotta say
And then I swear I'll go away
But I can't promise you'll enjoy the noise
From Duality lyrics.

   You may be conscripted into life, but from then on it's your choice what you do with it. RC

No comments:

Post a Comment